Monday, September 19, 2016

The Countdown

Yesterday was my birthday. I'm 29. 29 years old.
That number could scare me, I suppose. It means the decade of my 20's is almost over. Maybe it's intimidating because your 20's are your first full decade as an adult. You get to figure things out, all on your own. You get to do adult things and make the adult choices. No one looking over your shoulder telling you to do something different.
So you get comfortable in your 20's. They're a familiar place, a comfort place. You know your 20's. They're like an old friend.
So your 30's seem scary. Uncharted water. Places you've never been.

Now don't get me wrong. My 20's have been awesome. I met my husband, I got married in my 20's. I moved to Tucson. I've been to Brazil, to Europe. I've gotten to do incredible things. I've met incredible people. My 20's have been amazing. But it's like the book is closing, and a new one is opening.

And I refuse to be intimidated. I think my 30's are a beginning. A step into real life. Or, realer life, maybe. It reminds me of how I felt New Year's Eve, 2007. I knew 2008 was the year that was different. Every year prior I had been able to predict how the coming year would go. Nothing would change, it would all just be...the same. And it was. Until New Year's Eve 2007. I had nothing for 2008. Except that it was different. I knew I would meet my husband that year. And I did. It was just different than all the years past.

And that's how I feel about 30. Everything is gonna change. 29 is like the breath before the plunge. So now, I'm just getting ready. Things are gonna fall into place.
Another reason I love the Lord. He has this incredible way of bringing the right things at the right time. And the right things at the right time is chemical. It's reactive, it's cataclysmic. It's unstoppable.
And I really believe that's what my 30's are going to be. It's going to change everything. And I can't wait. It's only getting better.

So here's to the countdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment