Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A Quiet Warrior

Something that happened recently that I want to share.

Somedays it seems like a battle. In the quiet watches of the night it began. No warning. No impending sense of doom. Just out of the darkness came the threat. I rationalize to myself, "it's not real." But it felt real. The horrifying terror, the inability to make it make sense.
I laid there for what seemed like hours. I'm sure wide-eyed and terrified, even if only inwardly. Finally when I could take no more, and there was no relief, I turned and woke up my husband. I asked him to pray. He prayed. A long time passed, or so it seemed. I don't even know what he said, because my own prayers never ceased. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, there was peace. Blessed peace. I don't know what I just withstood. I don't know if there was some trial I had to go through. I don't even know if that fear was for me.

On my way to work the next morning, I was still pondering. The Lord reminded me of this scripture in Philippians 4:7 "And God's peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

Now Webster's dictionary defines the word 'garrison' as such:
A military post; especially: a permanent military installation.

I like that promise. God's peace has formed a permanent military installation over my heart and mind. I needed that. That blessed assurance. What a sweet revelation in the assessment of battle.

I don't know who I prayed for that night. But if I faced even a fraction of what you're facing... I pray that God's peace would garrison over your heart and mind. Seems like you'll need it.
And know that, for whatever reason, there is quiet warrior who is fighting on your behalf in the silent hours of the night. And it's not because I'm awesome. It's because Jesus loves you so deeply, that he calls on a random person to pray on your behalf. He loves you. More than anyone you've ever known. More than anyone else ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment