Thursday, August 31, 2017

Monuments

I've been thinking. And I know that I'm late to the conversation, and the world has moved on. Harvey has come and devastated thousands of people in Texas, and our focus has shifted. And that’s a good thing. The precious people in Texas need support, so let's focus on that. 

But I want to go back to this conversation about monuments. I understand there’s a lot of controversy. I understand that it’s contentious. I don’t agree with the mob mentality that is being created in taking down these monuments. I don’t agree with the constant extremism and polarization of races. It’s not helping us. 

But here’s what I keep thinking. 

If what a monument represents is hurting someone, we should take it down. 
I understand the idea of preserving history. The removal of monuments doesn’t take away our history. Calm down. 
We can preserve and honor our history whether a monument stays in place or not. 

Honestly, I don't even want to get into the "political argument" of it all. 

Instead, consider this for a moment: 
How can I look my brother who is hurting in the face and choose a monument that is made of metal and stone over the flesh and bone standing in front of me?

That’s what keeps plaguing me. How can I say I love my brother when I choose the worth of a monument over his? 
I have friends that have told me stories of what their parents have experienced as a result of  segregation. And many of these monuments are nothing more than reminders of horribly painful experiences. I don’t like that. 
I understand that there can be a level of emotion involved in this. I understand that there is potential for it to be irrational, or illogical. I understand all that. But it’s not my job to govern somebody’s emotions. It’s not my job to sit here and point out how incorrect their emotion is, or whatever it is that crosses my mind that “needs to be said.” 
It is my job to be kind. To be loving. To listen. To hear. To respond. 

1 John 4 says that if I say I love God, but hate my brother, I’m a liar. 

The truth is, I can’t choose some monument, over my brother who is hurting. 
I want to gain my brother back, more than I want some monument to stay in place.
I don’t need a monument. But I do need my brother. 

For me, that’s what it all comes down to:
If it’s a statue or my brother. I choose my brother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment